Local Search Engine Marketing
In a post about
To discuss as well as elaborate on local search engine marketing and optimization, I decided to compile my own list of tips of local search engine marketers.
- As Paul suggests, submitting your site to local directories is very important. They will attract some attention and traffic to your site, depending on the care you use when selecting the web directories.
- Get links to your site from local suppliers and business organizations. Links from reputable local sites are important and since these are people with whom you already have a business relationship, requesting link would not be unheard of. Do some research first. Find out who has a website, and then find out if they have a links page. If they do, send them an email. It can’t hurt, and these are great for helping to illustrate your integrity online.
- Don’t just think local, think regional. If you are in a large city and there are small towns around, make sure you include them if you offer service to these areas. People in smaller towns need things too, and I am pretty sure they have the internet.
- This may not be possible for everyone, but it is the best thing I know about local search marketing: if at all possible, make things “seasonal”. Would people search for your site for different reasons during different times of the year? Cash in on this and optimize pages for different seasonal needs. (ie. landscaping, etc in the summer, snowplowing in the winter… depending on your needs; this is the perfect solution for florists who can especially benefit from search marketing on a local scale)
- Invest in some Google PPC ads at first - depending on location and competitiveness for the terms, this need not break your budget. This is a good way to jumpstart your search marketing campaign until you find yourself in the top search results.
- I like the event idea: a contest is good and easy to promote if you are not in a position to host a real “event”.
- Do not discount on-site optimization, this is still important and a big part of a complete search marketing campaign. Lots of people “Google it”.
Local search marketing may be a little less competitive, that does not mean one’s strategies need be any less diverse. There is a lot to be gained from local SEO and online marketing. If you employ every tool in your arsenal, make sure you are prepared for the growth. ;)
Posted: September 5th, 2007.